Maintaining the academic integrity of exams taken by Mizzou K-12 Online students is key. Thank you for being part of that assurance.
In this section, you will find information about the proctoring process and the guidelines for administering exams.
Most often, students ask professionals at their local schools or in their community to oversee their exam. If a student has asked you to become a Mizzou K-12 Online proctor, please see the eligibility requirements and registration procedures below.
Please note that students may choose alternative proctoring options, including online proctoring in select classes beginning the fall of 2014.
If you have further questions, you are welcome to contact Student Support Services at (855) 256-4975 or email@example.com.
Information for Registered Proctors
If you have previously proctored for Mizzou K-12 Online, you are most likely already registered in our new online system. Students are directed to locate registered proctors online to request proctoring. Students MUST verify with the proctor that they are willing to monitor the exam BEFORE the student submits a proctor request to Mizzou K-12 Online.
Proctors should check their email for information on exams they have agreed to proctor. All individuals who agree to proctor should review the policies on administering exams. It is the student’s responsibility to make testing arrangements.
During the Exam
1. When the student arrives at the testing site, his or her identity is to be verified by checking the student’s ID. The proctor is to unlock the exam using the password received via email, review the exam instructions with the student, and monitor the student and computer screen while the exam is being taken.
2. Students are not permitted access to mobile phones, tablets, or other personal electronic devices unless directed by the instructions in exam.
3. The student must remain under the supervision of the proctor for the entire duration of the exam. If the student elects to have a parent, friend, or chaperone present along with the proctor, they may do so as long as the student does not interact with that person during the exam. Receiving assistance from any person during an exam is considered cheating and is to be reported to Mizzou K-12 Online.
4. Proctors are NOT ALLOWED to give out exam passwords or copies of the exam to anyone.
5. Students cannot take the exam with unauthorized books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specifically stated on the exam instructions in the proctor letter. Proctors are expected to read the exam instructions regarding approved testing aids and resources prior to giving exams. Students are accountable for communicating allowance of specific calculators or tables as indicated by their course materials.
6. Students cannot take notes on the exam or have any part of it to study after taking it. The exam is not to be duplicated in any way.
7. Proctors should maintain full view of the monitor to ensure that only the exam is accessed by the student. Access to the online course lessons and search engines (such as Google, etc.) is NOT permitted. Visiting unauthorized web sites at any time during the testing period is considered cheating and may result in failure of the course. All such breaches in exam security should be reported to Mizzou K-12 Online.
8. Proctors are responsible for appropriately documenting and reporting cases of incomplete testing and other incidents, and to include questions in breaches of academic integrity.
Registering as a New Proctor
If a student has asked you to proctor but you are not registered , please review the eligibility requirements before agreeing to proctor. Students MUST verify with the potential proctor that he or she is willing to monitor the exam BEFORE the student submits a proctor request to Mizzou K-12 Online. The student can then submit the proctor’s information in the system for approval. New proctors must be verified before we release exam passwords; please allow 7-10 days for processing new proctor information.
Eligibility for New Proctors
Potential proctors should verify that they:
- Provide appropriately configured technology
- Are at least 21 years of age
- Are able to proctor at a professional facility
- Will provide a professionally affiliated e-mail address (personal emails are not accepted: i.e. Hotmail, Gmail etc.)
- Set their e-mail account to recognize firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe sender
- Respond to the Mizzou K-12 Online’s verification e-mail for proctor registration
- Adhere to the proctor procedures
Potential proctors should ensure they meet the requirements to proctor a student’s exam. The following individuals are typically considered eligible for approval:
- Superintendents, high school principals or assistant principals
- High school academic or guidance counselors
- High school teachers
- High school librarians
- High school athletic coaches
- Professional librarians
- Embassy education offices
- Military base or station education offices
- Testing center administrators
- Missouri Extension offices
- College or university testing center administrator
- Professional, certified tutors
The following are NOT eligible for approval:
- Relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, or employers of the student
- Unaccredited personal tutors
- Assistant coaches
- Athletic recruiters
- Military recruiters
- Anyone with a relationship to the student that may result in a conflict of interest in proctoring an exam
Entering New Proctors
- Verify that you meet the criteria above.
- Have the student enter the following information into the Proctor Verification Form:
- Name of institution
- Name of proctor
- Title of proctor
- Professional e-mail of proctor
- Phone for proctor
- Communicate with the student to confirm final arrangements for the exam, following the procedures above.
Details about the proctoring options available to students are on our Exam Proctoring page.
Beginning with Fall 2014 enrollments, Mizzou K-12 Online is migrating to a standard format of all exams being administered online. Paper exams will continue to be available but enrollments after this date will have a paper exam fee.