Advanced Placement Courses
Mizzou Academy / University of Missouri High School is proud to offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses designed to:
- Offer academic challenge
- Prepare for the AP exam (taking the exam is optional)
- Provide online interaction with instructor and classmates
- Enhance college admissions and placement
- Increased content depth and rigor similar to college freshman courses
All courses have passed the official College Board AP Course Audit.
The College Board identifies the many benefits of taking AP Classes, including the opportunity for college-bound students seeking to earn college credit.
College Credit for AP Courses
Policy regarding awarding college credit for AP Exam scores vary by university, and may also vary by AP subject area and/or the college department. The University of Missouri has developed an AP Credit Policy based upon their own criteria.
Although Mizzou Academy / University of Missouri High School does not administer AP Exams at this time, the College Board has information about AP and assistance with locating a high school AP testing sites. We recommend students begin making arrangements early in the second semester of the course.
AP Courses Currently Available
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Comparative Government and Politics
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP European History
- AP Psychology
- AP Statistics
- AP United States Government and Politics
- AP United States History
Course Enrollment and Schedule
- Enrollment opens in May for the fall term and in October for the spring term.
- Coursework generally begins in late August/early September for the fall term and January for the spring term. See the Calendar for more details.
Any student who has an interest in the subject and has met the prerequisites (if any) may enroll.
AP Course Policies
- Course Pacing. AP courses follow a scheduled course format with pre-determined start and end dates. Students are expected to stay with course pacing.
- Course Fee. There is a $75 non-refundable course fee for every AP course.
- Weighted GPA. AP courses follow the same grading scale as other courses offered by Mizzou Academy / University of Missouri High School
- Mizzou Academy / University of Missouri does not offer extra weight on a student’s transcript for completion of AP courses. This follows the University’s guidelines for admission requirements.
Schools using our AP courses should utilize the “Add Online/Distance Learning Provider” tool in their AP Course Audit account to properly document use of our authorized courses. The College Board’s online/distance learning provider three-digit code for the University of Missouri High School is 041.
Across all subject areas tested, Mizzou Academy students who reported their results scored significantly higher on AP exams than the national average. Reported results of Mizzou Academy students total average for 2015 was 3.56 while the national average was 2.82.
Honors courses provide high-ability learners an opportunity for more in-depth study and varied assignments where students can explore and experiment with a variety of topics.
Students can choose from a challenging array of subjects, including mathematics, science, language arts, world languages, and social studies.
Consider the following hints when selecting an Honors course:
- Choose one that sounds interesting
- Preview the course description and learning objectives
- Consider the recommended grade level and the course prerequisites
When selecting an Honors course for a student, please also take into account the student maturity level, academic preparedness, and interest level in the subject.